Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day #66 - 500 Days of Summer



I have many different feelings about this movie. I just got back from seeing it - I had really high expectations and I was a bit disappointed. Two things I really liked about it - first of all, the story was REAL. It wasn't froo froo and full of happy endings and perfect situations and dialogue. Secondly, I knew going in I was going to love Zooey Deschanel, I already did - and sure enough, she was SO cute. That being said, I didn't care for the guy AT ALL - Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He just didn't make me care about him, I found him to not have much charisma or anything worth my attention. I know it's harsh, but hey - it's my blog :)

500 Days of Summer is about a guy, Tom, who meets Summer, a girl who works in his office. In a nutshell, he is a believer of love and relationships - she, however, does not believe that love exists. She prefers independence and freedom. As they begin their relationship, she tells him she doesn't want anything serious - he says OK, but you know he will try for that anyway. The movie actually starts by showing her breaking up with him, and the remainder of the movie takes you through the 500 days of Tom's life after the day he first met Summer. I've already talked about the actors and the story - but let me say about the style - it's very unique. I appreciate its originality but what on EARTH was going on with the mini coreographed dance in the middle of the movie? OH my goodness, no.

I'm going to label this as Romance - NOT Romantic Comedy....it's more of a Romanti Drama but I don't have that as a category ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment