Friday, August 21, 2009

Day #62 - The Time Traveler's Wife



Everything I know about time travel I learned from Back to the Future - if you go back in time, don't run into yourself. If you change something in the past, it WILL affect the future. If you want to visit 1985, just punch it into the Delorian. 88 mph and a flux capacitor will get you there. At least with Back to the Future all of the questions were answered - you knew how to time travel and how to control it. I get really annoyed when movies (and TV shows - LOST anyone?) try to cover time travel and it makes NO SENSE. The Time Traveler's Wife was a nice love story and it certainly helped that Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana were the stars because I love them both - that being said, the more I think about the story, the more questions I generate.

*Spoilers*
SO - he time travels....and he can't control when he leaves. He goes to the same places a lot so can he control where he goes? He finds out from a doctor that he has a genetic anomaly....but then there seems to be no more tests as to how to fix it or how he can control it. They have a child who can time travel yet she can control it. SO this begs the question, why did she not teach him? Especially when they find out he's going to die there is still no attempt at trying to fix it. He asks his daughter ONCE how she controls leaving and she says she sings...so they sing together and he goes anyway. Is that really the only attempt?

I believe that if you are going to incorporate time travel into your story, you need to answer all of these questions for people like me. If you are going to write it in willy-nilly, then use another idea. Like with LOST - Good Lord, does anyone know what's going on? There are SO many questions with the time travel aspect that it's just frustrating.

So even though I seem very irritated, it is actually an enjoyable movie if you can go in knowing you won't get all your questions answered - I'm so biased because I love Rachel McAdams - she is so great!

No comments:

Post a Comment