Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day #4 - Glengarry Glen Ross

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104348/

My friend Andrew has been trying to get me to watch this movie, well...for years I would say. Now, here I am finally! Before the movie started I looked it up and thought the screenwriter's name, David Mamet, was familiar....I looked at his other movies and nothing rang a bell. Seeing as how he is a playwright, I expected monologues and with this Who's Who of a Hollywood cast, I was really looking forward to it.

Jack Lemmon - Al Pacino - Alec Baldwin - Kevin Spacey - Ed Harris - Jonathan Pryce - Alan Arkin. Wow. Al Pacino was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar and Golden Globe. He won the Golden Globe but lost the Oscar to Gene Hackman in Unforgiven. Interestingly enough, Al Pacino won Best Actor that year for Scent of A Woman - so that would have been a pretty awesome sweep had he won both.

On to the review - definitely a powerful movie and I thought the performances were fantastic. I thought Jack Lemmon's story was really sad and I don't know, maybe no one would agree with me, but why not nominate him over Al Pacino? There were F-you's flying all over the place but I liked the energy at least :) ...good way to spend a Thursday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment