Friday, May 15, 2009

Day #11 - Funny Face

1957 - Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn. I think the movie was about 5 minutes in, just after the beginning of the first song when I turned to Chris and said "This is going to be a long 2 hours...". Well, it was.

I love Audrey Hepburn, I do. But this movie just didn't do it for me. There were a few cute parts but for me, they were outweighed by a bunch of really strange scenes, odd dancing routines, so-so singing. The interpretive dancing scene at the Paris bar? - so weird. I have to admit I fast forwarded through some of the movie near the end and let a few horse laughs come out :) Am I missing something? Here is the scene:



Chris read up a bit on the movie because I was confused as to why they were playing with color so much - it wasn't new...? Apparently Funny Face was one of the first movies to use VistaVision cameras with technicolor film - Ben Hur also used these cameras but Funny Face played around with the effects a bit more. So at the time I'm sure it was amazing but for me - cheesy. As I said, I'm bad at putting movies in context!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, marlie. I have a hard time with movies like this one. I love some and I hate some, it just totally depends. This one looks weird for sure. It's hard when we take color for granted because I'm sure at the time the color effects made a big difference to the audience. But now directors play with color, high speed photography, saturation, etc. and especially visual effects so it's hard to revolutionize movies these days. Unless you're Gillermo del Toro or Danny Boyle I guess...

    ReplyDelete