Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day #16 - The Sting






Wahooooo - this movie was so good! For being such a huge Paul Newman fan, I am ashamed to say that I have neither of his two potentially most famous movies - The Sting and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - my love came from Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, etc. So I was, of course, SO excited to see him in this and he was everything I hoped, haha :) I thought the story was done very well - it kept me guessing and I was definitely surprised by some of the unexpected turns. Robert Redford and Paul Newman, though? Come ON. It's just wrong. Two such men should not exist in movies together - it's just too much for us women to handle all at once :) The music was great of course and just the overall style was unique, unlike any other movie I've seen - for example, the title cards that told us the "chapters" in the movie, such as "The Players", "The Hook", and finally, "The Sting". Two thumbs up for me :)

The Sting won 7 out of 10 nominated Oscars in 1973 - Best Picture, Best Director, Best Music, Best Original Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Art Direction and Best Costumes. Robert Redford was nominated for a Lead Actor Oscar but lost to Jack Lemmon in Save the Tiger.....what is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment