Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day #12 - Chocolat

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241303/



After all of the violence and war movies, I was ready to just...chill. So I found a movie I thought would be good for that :) Melissa has always thought it was a travesty that I hadn't seen this and then I got the gasp of death from Leslee last night so I thought...ok ok! I'm on it!! Chocolat was nominated for 5 Oscars in 2000 - Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Music, Best Actress in a Leading Role (Juliette Binoche) and Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Judi Dench) - it did not win any though.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!! I thought it was such a cute movie :) I was really enjoying it and then Johnny Depp showed up and it was all over. The characters/townspeople in this movie really are what make it special - I loved all the side storylines that were going on and how people were handling the chocolaterie differently. Juliette Binoche was so perfect as Vienne, so charming - and I especially loved Judi Dench's character, Armande. I think my favorite scene was when Vienne and Roux went out on his boat and he asked her how her daughter felt about moving around all the time - it was so subtle which I always appreciate, not overdone or overacted. Alfred Molina was fantastic as the town mayor - apparently in the book he was actually the Priest, which makes sense - in the movie he might as well be.

Fantastic poster for this movie :)

3 comments:

  1. Loooooooooove this movie!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you watched it. I love all the coloring of it, and how she's always got these bright colored dresses in an otherwise completely drab-colored film. Johnny Depp in this movie is sheer perfect, lord almighty! I love Juliette Binoche in this movie, she completely carries it. But I eat up every scene with Judy Dench because I think she's perfectly subtle and a great mix of rough and sweet. And this movie propelled Alfred Molina even higher on my list of favorite character actors. Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really all your review needed to say was: "Johnny Deep......Irish accent....playing the guitar."

    Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one more thing . . . .
    did anyone mention Johnny Depp????

    I watched it twice in the same day! LOVED IT!!!
    For all of the reasons that you mentioned, this film was so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete