Friday, June 19, 2009

Day #29 - Adam's Rib



Aahh - my FIRST Katharine Hepburn / Spencer Tracy experience (and George Cukor!). How rewarding! You know, I thought going in, that since this was a romantic comedy that there would be a bunch of froo froo. I was wrong. You don't bring in the heavyweights like Hepburn and Tracy and get anything less than spectacular. I loved their chemistry and wondered how long they had been linked off camera - she totally dotes on him. I have only seen her before in The Philadelphia Story (fantastic) and was so impressed - that being said, HE actually blew me away. I always thought Spencer Tracy would be this old, gruff, stoic kind of guy and I was way off! I found him to be extremely charasmatic and playful. Cute even!

Adam's Rib was very fun to watch - Hepburn and Tracy play husband wife lawyers, Adam and Amanda Bonner, who go head to head in a murder trial - Amanda defends the accused wife and Adam defends the husband. Right off the bat Amanda sees this as an opportunity to prove that women are not treated equally to men in the eyes of the law - Adam sees her stand as a mockery and over the course of the trial their relationship suffers. I love how the movie is setup - you see their day in trial, then the aftermath at home....then you see the next day at trial and the aftermath again - as the movie progresses they fight more and more - but watching them fight is so great! I would never have wanted to go up in argument with Katharine Hepburn!

Who can recommend the BEST Tracy/Hepburn combo movie to add to my list?

Adam's Rib was made in 1949 and was #7 on AFI's list of Best Romantic Comedies :)


2 comments:

  1. Oh, man, what a great review!! Sounds like I need to watch this movie asap.
    I have unfortunately not seen Hepburn/Tracy together either so i'll be very anxious. And no, I would have never gone up in an argument against her either, she is very quick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, here's your recommendation: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner starring Tracy/Hepburn and Sidney Poitier.
    It's the only movie I've seen with them both but you're review makes me want to see this one also. There is no doubt that we wouldn't be able to compete with Miss Katherine in an argument. and I think that she was like that in her real life to be sure.

    ReplyDelete