Monday, June 15, 2009

Day #26 - She Wore a Yellow Ribbon



I had a couple of paragraphs written for this movie but somehow they got lost...I have a pretty good inkling of what happened but alas, I have to start over and I don't have the energy! She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is a John Ford movie - one of many starring John Wayne - and part of his cavalry trilogy including this movie along with Rio Grande and Fort Apache. This was recommended to me by my mother-in-law AND my Grandpa so I was really excited to see it :)

I thought it was a good movie - not great, but good and enjoyable. I feel like I must be missing something though because the critics speak SO highly of this movie. As much as I like John Wayne, I feel like he wasn't really acting much in this movie..in fact, I was a bit disappointed with him until maybe about halfway through the movie when I started enjoying him more. I have a feeling though that he is like this in most of his movies - any thoughts? That being said, I loved how much older he was supposed to look with his graying hair and mustache - what a handsome man he was - seriously. Chris and I liked Victor McLaglen's character even though he was SO random - is his role basically just to be the drunken sidekick who gets in fights? Haha :) I had a LOT more written my first time around about the "company" of actors that John Ford frequently used but I will save all of that for the next Ford movie - let's just say I was glad to be able to put some faces with names such as Harry Carey, Jr., Ben Johnson and John Agar. I have many more Ford movies on my list - next I believe is The Searchers. I am getting my moneys worth at Netflix!

2 comments:

  1. You are right on target with John Wayne. I honestly think the only movie where he really acted is The Quiet Man. My dad will just have to forgive me for saying that. He is exactly the same in every western that we ever watched. It gets old in my opinion. Obviously, the public loved him and the critics of that time apparently bought into that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love him in The Quiet Man - and as much as I have had that movie recommended to me lately, I think I should add it to my list :) I saw it a long time ago but think I would have a new found appreciation.

    ReplyDelete