Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day #25 - 12 Angry Men



12 Angry Men is a 1957 courtroom drama movie starring Henry Fonda - it was also the directorial debut for Sidney Lumet, who also directed such later movies as Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon and Network. It was nominated for 3 Academy Awards (Best Director, Best Picture, Best Screenplay) but lost all to Bridge on the River Kwai.

The movie spends all but 3 minutes in the deliberation room - 12 men consist of the jury that must decide the fate of an 18-year old boy accused of stabbing his father. At first, only Henry Fonda's character believes the boy is not guilty, but as the movie goes along, he succeeds at planting the seed of doubt in the other juror's minds. I think there's a great lesson as far as having the guts to stand alone for something you believe in. There were a couple of jurors who seemed to just want to get it over with, as if they really didn't care how they voted as long as they could go home - I'm sure that this happens all of the time and perhaps people need to remember that someone else's life is in their hands and it needs your full attention and consideration. Something I REALLY loved about how the movie was written was that we, as the audience, received all of the information from the trial through the juror's arguments. We did not come in with any preconceived notions based on seeing witnesses and such give testimony. As the movie progressed, we got more and more info which I thought was really cool. It drug a bit at the end, the last 20 min. or so, just because I felt like I could see where it was going and got a bit anxious. Overall, the acting was phenomenal - very intense performances from all of the men which is always a joy to watch.

I have to admit, this is the first movie I have ever seen with Hank Fonda. I know a lot about him from the Jimmy Steward biography I read since they were very close friends - but I have not ever seen him. I know, shame. I'm definitely going to add Grapes of Wrath to my list, as well as On Golden Pond.

I just read that 12 Angry Men was #2 on AFI's list of Best Courtroom Dramas...which begs the question, what is #1? I'm going to guess To Kill a Mockingbird. Oh I'm right! Yah, that one definitely takes the cake :) Henry Fonda, as "Juror #8" was also list as #28 on AFI's Top Heroes list...which ironically gave #1 to Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird :) This is actually a really cool list of Heroes and Villains...check it out:


No comments:

Post a Comment