Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day #20 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid



I would like to title the pictures above "What.", "Just Plain Wrong", and "You Have to be Kidding Me." :)


Let's not even TALK about the first 5 minutes of this movie.  I mean, come ON.  I was practically breathing into a paper bag!  Paul Newman.  You are the love of my life.  Let me see if I can find a video of you in all of your splendor.

There is something seriously wrong with this world.  No video.

I did find another good one though- the bike scene with "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head".  I must admit, and I'm SORRY, don't kill me, but I'm not a big fan of this song.  Good thing I'm a fan of HIM though, haha - here it is:




So let's talk about the movie :)  I enjoyed it in its entirety but really didn't love it until the end - I felt that Butch and Sundance were buddies and kind of like business partners but didn't really feel their friendship that strong until later in the movie.  I liked that Butch was the "thinker" and Sundance was the "fast one".  Robert Redford.  Le sigh.  

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was directed by George Roy Hill, who also directed Newman and Redford in The Sting, 4 years after this one.  It won 4 Oscars - Best Song, Best Score, Best Cinematography and Best Original Screenplay.  It was also nominated for Best Director, Best Picture and Best Sound - it lost Best Picture to Midnight Cowboy.

A bit of trivia....originally Steve McQueen was set to play the Sundance Kid with Paul Newman as Butch - the title, had it worked out that way, would have been The Sundance Kid and Butch Cassidy :)  Also - with nine wins, this movie holds the record for BAFTA (British Academy Awards) wins - Best Picture, Best Actor (Redford), Best Actress (Katharine Ross - WHAT?? - she was annoying!), Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Sound and Score. 

AFI named Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid #7 on its Top 10 Westerns.

Notice how little I talked about the movie :)  I spent too much time looking at pictures!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Marlie....I love your captions for the pictures!! You crack me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Katherine Ross was annoying. Could it be that she just interfered too much with us viewing the men?? I totally agree with your summation that Butch and Sundance weren't that close in their relationship. I don't actually remember the end apparently. Is that when they jump off the cliff? Whatever - it's actually never been one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete