Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day #81 - Away We Go



I loved this movie!!! It was so, so cute. Chris and I honestly felt like it was written about us - a couple of times we looked at each other like. "did they really just say that? We say that all the time!" Away We Go is about Burt and Verona and their journey to find the perfect place to raise their child. Verona is six months pregnant when they find out that Burt's parents are moving to Europe - since Verona's parents passed away and they moved there to be close to Burt's parents, they decide hey, we don't have to be here anymore. So they think of a few places where they have friends or family and set out to find a city to move to. Burt and Verona really love each other and are excited to have a baby, even though they aren't married. When they spend time with their somewhat crazy friends and family, they learn a lot about how different relationships work - between husbands and wives, parents and kids....etc. They see how unfair the world can be when relationships don't work out or are troubled and it just reminds them of how much they love each other. Really the movie is a journey for them, in my opinion, to really figure out what kinds of parents and people they want to be.

I looooooved the cast in this movie - fantastic all around! I was really unsure of John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph....to me, John Krasinski is just Jim from The Office and I wasn't sure I could see past that....and Maya Rudolph seemed too old I guess. But they both did an amazing job - their dialogue was really natural and there were a few semi-emotional scenes where John Krasinski especially really surprised me. The supporting cast though really makes this movie a gem - Allison Janney might be my favorite actress ever, she just cracks me up. Some of the other friends and family were played by Catherine O'Hara, Jeff Daniels, Maggie Gyllenhall, Paul Schneider and Jim Gaffigan.

I definitely recommend this movie - it was directed by Sam Mendes and it's just really sweet!

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty hit and miss with Sam Mendes. Mostly "miss" unfortunately. But, I saw the trailer for this movie and thought it had a lot of potential. I'll have to see it now, with your recommendation!
    A happily married couple looking for a city to live in?? No wonder you and Chris identified with it!

    ReplyDelete