Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day #77 - Bringing Up Baby



OK. I think I need to watch this movie again. I was painting and thought I could watch it at the same time and perhaps I missed a lot by not being able to "see" a lot of the scenes since I had my face in a glass. I've heard a lot about this movie over the past few months as other movies have come up so I was really looking forward to it. I got it from Netflix like 3 weeks ago and I really fell behind. I'm also holding onto Grapes of Wrath and Blazing Saddles.

Bringing Up Baby is a comedy starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn and I thought the plot was allllll over the place - the dinosaur bone, Baby, the aunt - and that's really why I think I need to watch it again - I may have missed some transitions. I have to admit that although Cary Grant is not one of my favorite actors, I found him to be really, really funny in this movie...I especially loved when he was wearing the women's fuzzy robe. His comedic timing is fantastic. Interestingly enough, I really do love Katharine Hepburn but didn't care for her in this at all. I found her to be really annoying - I mean, with her voice, she can only be taken in regular doses and her character in Bringing Up Baby was SUPPOSED to be annoying and a big talker so it was just too much.

Bringing Up Baby is a screwball comedy - does anyone have any thoughts on what exactly a screwball comedy is compared to a regular one? I have some ideas but was curious. They seem to be very fast-paced and comedy is already tough enough for actors to pull off - I imagine it was quite a challenge. I'm still hoping to see one of Rosalind Russell's screwball comedies :)


2 comments:

  1. I agree there are some very funny bits in this classic screwball, but not one of my favorites. I like the start of the movie best - Katharine popping olives in her mouth and the famous scene when her gown is torn away! LOL I do agree that she plays annoying very well - too well! So I usually don't hang on to the end of the film. Cary Grant does screwball to a T. (ie. Arsenic and Old Lace) He and Roz in His Girl Friday is great screwball (lots of ad libs in that). I would define it as comedy where one or more lead characters are zany, wacky, goofy with outlandish story line and often rapid fire dialogue. (I Love Lucy!) Carole Lombard was screwball queen. You didn't mention Asta - he was great in this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be very interested to read/hear about what you think of Blazing Saddles. I watched it for the first time last year when one of the partners at MDA almost had a heart attack when he heard I had never seen it. I came in the next morning and the DVD was on my desk. Anyways, I am interested to get your take on it.....

    ReplyDelete