Friday, October 9, 2009

Day #79 - Wolverine



The key to watching Wolverine is to go in with lower expectations. Honestly. I don't mean that as a huge insult AT ALL, I just think that when it first came out, there was, according to friends and reviews, a lot of disappointment because it was so over-hyped. Having heard many negative reviews, Chris and I put off watching it for a long time - and I'm glad we did. Going in with different expectations and a desire for a fun action movie helped us to really enjoy it!

Wolverine tells the story of Logan (Hugh Jackman) before he became Wolverine (before all of the other X-Men movies). The movie starts by showing us a glimpse of his childhood and then travels through time showing Logan and his brother Victor (aka Sabertooth) fighting in many wars before it jumps to the future where Logan and Victor are being recruited by William Striker into a team of mutants. After Logan learns that their intentions are not entirely good, he leaves the team, as well as his brother, who is growing increasingly violent. To seek revenge for Logan leaving, Victor seemingly kills Logan's wife, sending Logan on his own quest for vengeance. He returns to Striker and agrees to be part of an experiment in which they fill his body with the metal adamantium (sp?). Hence his transformation to Wolverine. The remainder of the movie is basically Wolverine seeking out Sabertooth and eventually Striker, after learning that his experiment was actually a farce.

The real surprise in this movie for me personally was Sabertooth...ooooooh Liev Schreiber, you are scaaary my friend. He really freaked me out!! I like how understated his teeth were and I was creeped out by his movements. He had a GREAT evil look! Hugh Jackman was great as Wolverine - and I liked Gambit but I thought his character would be bigger? I was quite elated to see Dominic Monaghan in the movie as a mutant...love him. Charlie! As for the action, I don't particularly care for action that is wild and overdone, which I felt like it was at times in Wolverine...it was just too much, too unrealistic. What did you all think?

2 comments:

  1. I was really disappointed with this movie and I even went in with really low expectations. They completely restated what had already been said in the X-Men movie flashbacks. Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth were the best parts. Unfortuately for Deadpool they killed him off as quickly as they created him and they completely wasted Gambit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was definetely a movie that we were excited to see, as we're huge X-Men fans and me personally being quite a HUGE fan of both Wolverine and Hugh Jackman. It wasnt a perfect movie, but I can't help but enjoy Wolverine's story and watching Hugh play the character. I remember really liking Deadpool and Gambit but wanted to see WAY more of them in the movie. And yeah, Liev as Sabretooth scared the shit outta me!

    ReplyDelete