Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day #46 - Rear Window



So right off the bat I'm thinking, I dunnoooo, I'm just not a big Hitchcock fan ....I don't think I'm gonna liiiiike this....but I looooove Jimmy Stewart, right? So I HAVE to give it a whirl, right? Right.

...and voila! I loved it :) Honestly I did not know how this movie was going to end until the very last minutes and I was really surprised! It's so exciting when that happens because movies tend to be fairly predictable and formulaic - I found Rear Window to be unlike any movie I've seen. I loved that the movie never left the set of the apartments - and that everything you saw was through the eyes of Jimmy Stewart. As the documentary helped me to see, Hitchcock set up the movie so that as a viewer, you saw something happen in another apartment, then you cut to Jimmy Stewart's reaction and you can't help but react as he does. So you actually follow the mystery of the movie right along with him....except for that little tidbit of info that the viewer gets that he does not! I won't ruin it :)

Rear Window is about L.B. Jeffries (Stewart), a photographer who is bound to his wheelchair after suffering a broken leg. Because he isn't able to get out and about on his own, he spends most of his time staring out his apartment window, spying on his neighbors' activities. One night, he sees some suspicious activity at the apartment across the way, where a man has been caring for his invalid wife. He starts to suspect that the man murdered his wife, and as the next couple of days go on, he sees more and more to lead him to believe his theory is true. His girlfriend Lisa, played by the beautiful Grace Kelly, at first thinks that his imagination has run wild - that is, until she sees some of the suspicious behavior for herself. By the end of the movie, Jeffries, Lisa, and Jeffries' nurse Stella are all working together to solve the mystery. As this story moves along, we also get a glimpse into the lives of some of Jeffries' other neighbors, adding some depth the the movie.

As usual, I adored Jimmy Stewart....he's just a man after my heart, I love him so much :) I love that every line he delivers feels like he's doing an impression of himself. This is the first movie I have seen of his in color so that was nice - he has blue eyes!

1 comment:

  1. LOL - "every line he delivers feels like he's doing an impression of himself."
    Now you know why I have always loved Jimmy Stewart! I've never watched this because it's Hitchcock and you know how I hate to be scared. So, do you think I could handle it?

    ReplyDelete