Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day #37 - The Philadelphia Story




I looove this movie - it's such a classic. I saw it many years ago and didn't remember much about it, other than that I loved Jimmy Stewart. It was on TCM the other night so I DVR'd it and I've actually watched it twice now :)

Katharine Hepburn played the role of Tracy Lord in The Philadelphia Story on Broadway, and she wanted the rights to the script for a movie version, so her boyfriend at the time, Howard Hughes, bought it for her. Cause we all have billionaire boyfriends right?? MGM agreed to do the movie, even giving Hepburn the opportunity to choose her costars and director. As her director, of course she chose no other than her favorite, George Cukor. She originally wanted Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy as Macauley Connor and CK Dexter Haven, but they were not available, so Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart were cast. Fantastic :)

The Philadelphia Story was nominated for 4 Oscars in 1940 and won 2 - Best Screenplay and Best Actor in a Leading Role for Jimmy Stewart (yay!). It was also nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress in a Leading Role for Katharine Hepburn and Best Actress in a Supporting Role for Ruth Hussey (really? what a strange nomination....). Kate Hepburn lost to Ginger Rogers in Kitty Foyle, which I have never heard of - but I imagine that after Kate put so much into this movie, she was none too happy not to win an Oscar for it. The Best Picture winner that year was Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca.

I think that the best scene in this movie BY FAR is the scene where Jimmy Stewart is drunk and goes in to talk to Cary Grant and keeps yelling "CK Dexter Haaaaven!" and he hiccups all the time. He is so freakkin' fantastic. A couple years ago I read his biography and loved it because I was so happy for the story of his life not to ruin my opinion of him :) Here is a great video....from 1:20-1:30, tell me Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant are not trying desperately not to laugh after Jimmy hiccups and Grant says "excuse me":) It makes me hysterical when he says "CK Dexter Haven you have unsuspected depth!" This has to be one of my favorite scenes of all time!

1 comment:

  1. I've been watching the clips and loving them. I have seen this movie several times and it's a favorite. Of course you know how I feel about Jimmy Stewart! What an actor. You chose a great scene to share and yes, I think you're right that Cary and Jimmy are trying their best not to laugh and ruin the scene. I wonder how many takes they shot before getting it right. Doesn't he make the greatest "drunk?"

    ReplyDelete